As we roll into the autumn season, it is time to start switching gears from light summer foods like cucumbers, zucchini, and berries to foods that create more warmth and comfort like squash and apples.
Because getting a nutritionally balanced breakfast can be a challenge for many of us, overnight oats have become a popular way to pre-prepare a delicious, nutritious and quick meal. All you need is a bowl, mason jar, or mug and a few simple ingredients.
This recipe combines creamy pumpkin, with flaxseeds, oats and protein for a yummy breakfast treat loaded with nutrients.
Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk (or unsweetened nondairy milk)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin, mashed
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated (if desired for extra crunch)
- 1/4 cup steel cut or old fashioned oats*
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder, pick your favorite
- 2 tablespoon flaxseeds, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or to taste)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl or mug ( I love using mugs in the fall/winter months. They make me few instantly warmer).
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 3-4 hours.
- In the morning, add additional milk or Greek yogurt to thin the mixture if necessary.
- Enjoy cold or cover and warm in the microwave 30 seconds if desired.
*Be sure to use steel cut or old fashioned whole grain oats to get the best consistency and the most nutrition.
Now, if pumpkin spice isn’t your thing don’t worry. I’ll be back next week with a delectable apple pie overnight oats recipe.
Until then, have a happy, healthy day,