How many times has this happened to you, you get settled into to bed hoping for a good nights’ sleep only to lie awake thinking of your “to do” list, problems, and worries? “Monkey mind”, as it is often called, can wreck a nights’ sleep.
Luckily, there is a way to stop monkey mind before it starts. Before bed, take a few moments to list the good things that you experienced during your day. Making this list allows you to focus your mind on positive thoughts. Focusing on the positive redirects your monkey mind away from your sleep stealing thoughts and puts you in a more relaxed state of mind. These peaceful happy thoughts can lead to better more restful sleep. In addition, focusing on the positive before bedtime ensures you wake up with a more positive mindset the following morning leading to a better more productive day.
Tonight before going to bed:
Your list could include things like:
- Traffic was lighter than normal
- Your kids did the dishes without being told
- Your work meeting was productive
- You received a compliment about your beautiful smile
- You heard your favorite song on the radio
- You achieved a personal best at the gym
- The sun was shining
- You saw someone do something kind for another person
Or anything else you can think of that makes you feel good today.
Give it a try for the next week and see how you feel.
Have a happy healthy day and while you’re at it “LIKE” us on Facebook!