We have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it is true. Whether it’s a busy day at the office, an end of day workout, or a hectic social schedule, breakfast fuels our body for whatever the day holds.
But let’s face it, who wants to get up 30 minutes early to make a healthy nutritious meal?
This week, I thought I would share 2 of my favorite make ahead breakfast recipes:
Banana Nut Protein Pancakes
- 32 ounce carton egg whites
- 4 scoops protein powder, vanilla*
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, or to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Lightly grease a small sauté pan and heat over medium high heat.
- Add 1/4 cup mixture to pan. Let cook until set, then flip with spatula and cook the other side. Pancake will be thin, like a crepe.
- Remove pancake and set on a plate to cool.
- Stir pancake mixture before adding more to the pan to keep ingredients combined.
- Repeat until all of the mixture has been used.
- You should have 16-20 pancakes depending in the size of your pan
- Allow the pancakes to cool, then separate 4-5 pancakes into freezer safe containers.
- Store in the freezer until ready to use. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in the microwave.
Makes: 4 servings
*You can use your favorite protein powder. I have had the most success with:
If you crave something heartier and more savory for breakfast, a simple breakfast burrito can do the trick.
Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos
- 32 ounce egg whites
- 8 tablespoons ranchero sauce
- 8 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 large whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas
- Heat a lightly oiled skillet over medium high heat.
- Add egg whites and cook until firm.
- Allow egg whites to cool, drain if necessary.
- To assemble burritos, spread 2 tablespoons ranchero sauce on 1 tortilla leaving plenty of room around the edges, add 2 tablespoons cheese, and 1/4 of the egg whites.
- Tuck in the sides of the tortilla and roll it up.
- Wrap the tortilla in plastic wrap (or a plastic bag).
- If you are going to freeze the burritos , wrap them again in aluminum foil.
- To thaw, remove the foil and plastic wrap. Place a burrito on a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 60-90 seconds, or until warmed through.
Makes 4 burritos
**You can customize your burrito by adding extra vegetables, bacon, sausage, or cooked potatoes to your egg whites.
Try one of these recipes this weekend to have a fast, delicious breakfast everyday next week!