This sauce is easy to make and freezes well. Try it on eggs, chicken, or as a sandwich spread.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/4 (6.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 1/2-1 jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeded, or to taste
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add onion and cook until transparent.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, cilantro, jalapeno,salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes; add black beans and cook 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat, add cotija cheese and stir well.
- Allow the sauce to cool then separate into 8 individual containers. Freeze, if desired.